Depending on where you live, shrimp is seen as either a special treat or an everyday staple. If you are lucky enough to live near the coast of The Gulf of Mexico – particularly Florida, Louisiana, and Mississippi – then you will find some of the best shrimp. Not just nationally, but seafood that rivals that found anywhere else on the planet.
New Orleans is famed for its seafood, particularly shrimp. In places such as Charleston and Biloxi (once known as the seafood capital of the world), you can find shrimp to rival more exotic locations such as Japan, Chile, and Panama.
But if you have access to good shrimp and want to avoid dining out, especially with the rising cost of living, there are plenty of options for tasty homemade treats, such as how to make shrimp fried rice. And if you are not the most confident of cooks, or you don’t have the time to make the dish from scratch. Companies such as Success offer great, boil-in-the-bag rice options, such as Jasmine, to which all you have to do is add simple ingredients -bell peppers, peas, onion, egg if you like – and you have a quick, easy, tasty meal.
It’s like bringing the taste of Louisiana right to your home. With a few easy adjustments, you can make the taste of the Far East or the southern Pacific waters according to your preferences and how adventurous you want to be. Biloxi may once have been the home of seafood, but now, your kitchen can also have such a renowned title.
How To Make Shrimp Fried Rice
If you have a knack for seafood, you would know how scrumptious shrimp are. Their luscious yet meaty texture is everyone’s favorite. Even more, if you have a thing for Chinese cuisine, you would know how popular shrimp fried rice is. It’s one of the quickest and easiest recipes out there that’s prepared with shrimp, rice, egg, and savory Asian herbs and spices.
What’s best about shrimp fried rice is that they are healthy and don’t have too many calories. Having said that, if you want to make your own fried rice rather than depending on a nearby Chinese restaurant, we are sharing an in-depth recipe. So, wear your apron now!
The list of ingredients is a bit long, but they are all easy to find. It’s safe to say that you would have most of them in the pantry already, but if not, a trip to the local grocery store is all it takes. So, let’s see which ingredients are needed!
- Vegetable oil
- Sesame oil
- Frozen carrots and peas
- Fresh shrimp
- Green onion
- Ground ginger
- Cooked rice
- Black pepper
- Soy sauce (low-sodium would be better)
Now that you have collected all the ingredients, you have to follow the below-mentioned cooking instructions to prepare the delicious shrimp fried rice, such as;
- Add shrimp, sesame oil, and vegetable oil to a nonstick skillet and cook them at medium-high temperature for three to four minutes. Make sure that you keep flipping the shrimp
- Use a slotted spoon to remove shrimp from the skillet and set them aside
- Add corn, carrots, and peas to the same skillet and cook them for two minutes but keep stirring until the veggies are soft
- Now, add ginger and garlic, and mix them until they release fragrance
- The next step is to push veggies on the side of the skillet and add eggs (you’ve to scramble the eggs in the oil, so be quick)
- Once the eggs are scrambled, add rice, green onions, and shrimp to the skillet. Add some soy sauce and stir everything together to make sure they are thoroughly mixed
- Then, just cook until the shrimp are heated, and dish out the rice in your tray
Tips To Make Perfect Shrimp Fried Rice
Truth be told, cooking shrimp fried rice is quite convenient, but a few tips never hurt anyone, right?
- You can use ready-to-serve rice as they are easily available
- You don’t have to waste time thawing the frozen corn, carrots, and peas
- Try to use fresh shrimp in the rice because it has the best texture and flavor
- If you are using frozen shrimp, you must thaw it before adding it to the veggies
- Make sure you don’t lower the temperature because shrimp and veggies should have a slight crunch
On a concluding note, preparing shrimp fried rice at home is quite easy. There are tons of recipes already, but this is the easiest one (yup, it’s perfect for beginners as well). So, are you ready to cook something delicious?