Pregnancy is one of the most important events in one’s life. In case you have type 2 diabetes, you should take different steps that are important before conceiving. According to – http://www.onetouchdiabetes.co.in, the availability of regular sugar level check-ups and blood glucose level monitoring have made it possible for women with type 2 diabetes to conceive and even have safe pregnancies and deliveries.
When you decide it is time for you to become pregnant but you have type 2 diabetes, the first thing you need to do is talk to your doctor. He/she will advise you on what you need to do to conceive and also how to take care of yourself. The doctor will also advise you on what foods to eat so as to control your blood sugar levels. This will minimize any possible risk that might occur during your pregnancy thereby preventing anything from happening to you and your unborn child.
In the recent elitedaily’s articles on diabetes, before you conceive and while pregnant, you should make sure that your blood glucose level is in bracket of the suggested range for a period of three to six months. This involves you visiting your doctor often to keep your health status on check.
Diet control has proven to be an essential and the most successful exercise in management of diabetes during your pregnancy. Your diet needs to have higher percentage of fibre, vegetables, fruits, milk that does not consist of cream and other products such as butter. It is advisable that you avoid foods and fruits that have high sugar content.
For you to have a safe pregnancy, it is important to keep in mind that:
• Fibrous foods such as whole grains, millets and oats should always be part of your diet on daily basis. This is because they are vital in managing diabetes as well as controlling your weight.
• Fruit should be an integral part of your diet. You should go for whole and fresh fruits since they are a good source of energy. As far as dry fruits are concerned, you should know that while they are a very good source of energy you should avoid them during pregnancy. This is because they contain a lot of sugar that may elevate your blood sugar to dangerous levels. Another thing you ought to avoid is the juices that are sold commercially since they contain chemicals and their sugar level is high as well.
• Iron is crucial during pregnancy as it helps to regulate your blood sugar. Leafy vegetables such as spinach, beans, broccoli and other vegetables should be an important part of your diet as they are iron-rich.
• If you are a non-vegetarian woman with type 2 diabetes, your preference should be lean meat. Avoid red meat as much as possible as it is high in cholesterol. You may also add seafood into your diet.
• It is advisable that you eat small meals at regularly intervals. This way you will remain full longer and will be able to maintain your blood glucose levels.