The challenges and complexities in the global supply chain is plaguing the dock and transportation and resulting in higher expenses for the freight shippers. Several factors come into play within the dock and leads to mismanagement in the supply chain. Therefore, the best solutions for shippers today is using dock scheduling software to enhance the efficiency.
- There are multiple issues involved in accessing the updated vessel schedules
- The exporters relying on outdates vessel schedules may create wrong bookings.
- The truckers carrying the cargo to the dock need to be notified about the changes vessel schedules.
- When the cargo reaches the port much before the actual schedule, it may result in demurrage charges.
- The freight senders may miss the crucial cut off times and result in the delay of cargo and when the schedule changes from the original plan, the schedule of the route is also compromised.
- Lack of reliability of the routes may make it tougher to reduce the downstream costs and risks in the supply chain.
- The importers may also bear the brunt of changed business schedules.
- The warehouses need to reimburse the truckers for more wait times and need detention fees but scheduling the appointment schedules the arrival time of the trucks an prevent them from queuing up unnecessarily.
- When the warehouse teams become backlogged, they need to work faster to stay on schedule, resulting in safety incidents.
Following Maersk lines schedules is necessary to overcome the issues gripping the supply chain during vessel freight shipping.
Reasons to use dock scheduling software
When it comes to logistics management, dock scheduling software comes with key benefits. Typically, the dock is the first point of contact when the shipment enters or exits a facility. Therefore, delays in the dock can result in disruptions in the rest of the supply chain. So, the implementation of software has the following benefits.
- Boosting dock and yard management
With software, the dock managers can shun the concept of first-come first-served basis and work proactively to communicate, supervise, and manage the status of stocks. Therefore, the warehouses can limit the detention charges, spoilage of perishable products, and reduce the employee incidents and boost the efficiency of supply chains and facilities.
- Reduced employee turnover rates
The improvements taking place to boost the safety of the organization, such as heightened awareness at the dock doors and the yard reduces the employee turnover. The employees are more likely to feel dissatisfied when safety within the facility is compromised. The dock scheduling software improves safety and express satisfaction within the facility.
- Reduces the freight expenses
While the installation of dock scheduling software reduces the total freight expenses, the savings become realized across the facility.
The final thoughts
The function of the dock software is to evaluate the systems and processes affecting the dock schedule, helps in gaining granular, know the time of arrival of the carriers, and make appropriate safety arrangements.
It also increases the accuracy of staffing and accountability, improves all the activities taking place in the dock, streamlines the processes, thereby reducing the risks, and eliminates the issue of dock congestion.