Internet is the new generation’s go-to place, and why wouldn’t it be? From entertainment to rocket science knowledge, you name it and the internet has it! WWW- World Wide Web has a plethora of websites that we can access. The technology has flourished with the new era’s demands. And that introduces us to Web Designing and Web Development.
What is Web Development?
One cannot define web development in a single line or sentence. From the color of your website to layout, designs, and content, it works on various niches. It can be explained in terms of back-end and front-end, where design, layout and interactivity is taken care of in the former and behind the scenes work is completed in the latter. Full-stack development means getting both front and backend by a single developer.
What is Web Designing?
Web designing as the name implies is the outer design of a website. Numerous websites are serving the same purpose on the internet and what makes a website stand out amongst clusters is its design. It depicts the overall user experience. involves working on the layout, images used on the website, font, colors, and how the content would appear on the website. It inculcates website analytics, Bounce Rate, Site Traffic, A/b testing, Eye tracking, Landing Page, Site Speed.
There are two types of designs in web designing:
Responsive designing: Content moves dynamically on the screen when the design is responsive. Most E-Commerce websites have responsive design.
Adaptive Designing: Everything is fixed in the layout. Static websites have adaptive designs.
Features of Web Designing
HTML- Hypertext markup language provides structure to a website. Whatever you code on HTML, gets visible to your web page. A website is designed and created by this software. It consists of several components and tells the browser what content to display.
Cascading style sheet, abbreviated as CSS is a style language that decides how the visual representation of an HTML would look like. It allows you to change colors, font, animations, and other transitions of the web page. It is highly efficient to save time as it could handle multiple web pages at once. Two of its classifications are:
- LESS- stands for Leaner Stylesheets. A pre-compiler of CSS which has easy functioning. It was previously made and required a Ruby install but now it has been converted into Java as well.
- SASS- stands for Syntactically Awesome Stylesheets. Also, a pre-compiler that adds functionality to CSS much easily. It is based in Ruby. SASS works more efficiently on Mac than on windows.
Features of Web Development
Today, many programming languages are used and enthusiastically learned by aspiring web developers that allow them to create and design websites, web applications, and much more. By learning a programming language and various techniques of , one can enhance the overall user experience of a website. A well-developed and well-designed website can ensure good site traffic. Below are some of the programming languages that allow them to make websites:
- Python- this one is used to do a lot of mathematical calculations and used by the Django framework.
- Ruby- it is used by the Ruby on Rails framework
- PHP- WordPress is the user of PHP
- Go- this is a newer language especially built to boost the speed
- Objective- C- the programming language used behind Ios lead by Apple.
- Swift – Swift is Apple’s newest programming language that does all the updates.
- Java- this one is the most common one used for a lot of desktop applications and android (Google)
Frameworks make coding much easier so that you can concentrate on enhancing the designing and other elements of the website. It is an abstraction that provides generic functionality and can be selectively changed by the user with a written code. Some of the frameworks are WordPress, Ionic, Bootstrap, Node, js, Django, Cordova, etc.
Databases are where all the data is stored. A better database will ensure safety and better storage of your data or contents of the websites. They mainly have two flavors: SQL and NoSQL which makes sure that your data is validated and more flexible in terms of building and maintain applications.
Then there are data formats, which are the structures in which data is stored.
- JSON- the is the most popular data format
- XML- this one is predominantly used by Microsoft systems. It was used in the early days of web creation and development.
- CSV- excel data is formatted in this way. It is data formatted by commas
Basic Difference between Web Designing and Web Development:
Web designing is basically, how the website and webpages would look.
How can we learn Web Designing and Web Development?
There is a misconception, that, to learn web designing and development, one has to enroll in IT/Computer engineering. However, this is just a misconception and the fact is, one can learn web designing and development by enrolling in online courses. There is number of online courses in which one can enroll and acquire the skills of both web designing and development. These online courses teach basics and advanced levels of web designing and development. From 4 weeks course to 6 months advance level courses, one can choose what caters their needs.