When a doctor fails to give a service that meets the standards prescribed by the law, you can file a medical malpractice claim against them; there are expert Miami medical malpractice lawyers that will make this process very easy for you.
What is Medical Malpractice Law?
Medical malpractice is covered under personal injury law as it allows one person to claim that the other one was being negligent in performing their duty and thus the plaintiff can claim damages in case a medical practitioner fails to perform their duties according to the set standards by the law.
Like every other profession, there is a certain standard of care that the doctors are required to follow, however, they have to be more careful as a mistake on their part can result in causing heavy damages that can ruin a person’s life. It is for dealing with these mistakes that there are laws in place which give the right to the person who has suffered at the hands of a medical professional’s negligence to claim for the damages and recover the extra medical costs or any lost wages.
What is included in medical malpractice?
When it comes to medical malpractice, these laws are there protect the common citizens because medical errors rank among major leading causes for death all over the world. There are several cases that are covered under this law, let’s have a look at some of the examples.
- A surgen may mistakenly leave a surgical device like clamps inside the body of the patient after the surgery.
- A doctor may end up amputating the right limb instead of the left one.
- A dentist may choose to perform a root canal even if it was not required. They might do it just to increase the billing amount.
- Using more than the required amount of anaesthesia on a patient, which might even lead to death.
- Even after seeing the signs and reports, a doctor can fail to detect cancer which might make it more difficult to be treated.
These are just some examples of medical malpractices, and there are many more such malpractices which are included in the law.
The bottom line
Medical malpractice laws are very important and there are also other laws like healthcare laws, elder laws, and product liability laws which are there in place to strengthen person’s belief in the legal system and also pushes the medical practitioners to perform their duties more carefully.