Moving to university is full of unknowns.
It’s probably the first time you’ll be leaving home (and your parents!), and unless you’re house sharing with your friends, there’s a good chance that you won’t know who you’re living with until you get there. Plus, if you’re moving away to university, you might not be familiar with the area.
That’s why, to help you feel more prepared, we thought we’d list a few things you can expect as a fresher.
5 things you can bank on in your first year
Though you might not think so, your first term at university will fly by. You’ll be busy settling into your student accommodation in Liverpool, making new friends, learning how to cook nutritional meals whilst on a budget and attending lectures at the uni campus. Blink and you’ll miss it!
However, there are a few things that are bound to happen within the first few weeks and months, including:
- You’ll party (a lot) – when you first go to uni, you’ll hear all about ‘freshers week’. Packed with social events, fairs and administrative tasks, it’s your golden opportunity to make some pals, find out more about what the local area has to offer, and to experience the nightlife before lectures begin.
- You’ll join a club or society – if you’re athletic, you might be interested in joining a running club, football team or rugby squad when you go to uni. Perhaps you’re into board games or consider yourself a film buff? There are plenty of clubs and societies that you can join. But after the first couple of weeks, approximately 10% of new students drop out and never attend.
- You’ll meet lots of new people – whether it be at student halls, on your course, at one of those clubs you’ve joined, or on a night out, you’ll be seeing a lot of new faces. And before you know it, you’ll be adding friends on Facebook, following people back on Instagram, and having more WhatsApp groups than anything else.
- You’ll get lost – university campuses are huge, and navigating your way around can be tricky – especially when all the corridors and rooms look the same. You’ll inevitably get lost on your way to lectures or the library in the first few weeks, so make sure you give yourself plenty of time. And if your struggling, don’t be afraid to ask other students if they can point you in the right direction.
- You’ll end up falling out with housemates – they say that the people you live with at university can become lifelong friends and, having spent so much time under the same roof as each other, it’s clear to see why. But that’s not to say you won’t bicker over who used the last of the milk in the shared kitchen, who left the bathroom in a state or didn’t wash up their pots and pans!
Are you ready to move to university?
Now you have an idea of what to expect when you leave for university, you should feel a little more prepared. At this point, you should have secured student accommodation for 2021/22 – but if you’ve left it to the last minute, don’t panic.
Caro Lettings provide some of the best student accommodation Liverpool has ever seen – offering fully furnished rooms with all the mod cons – and you’ll be pleased to know that they are still taking bookings.
All their buildings are in excellent locations in the city, and heating, lighting, electricity and water bills are included in the rent, so you know exactly where you stand each month.
To find out more about their student lets in Liverpool or to arrange a viewing, call 0800 008 7888. And ask family members or friends to accompany you – they’re bound to want to know where you’ll be staying whilst you’re at uni!