Each mommy-to-be has their preference for maternity bras, so they may have different opinions on which is the best. If you are a first-time preggo, you might need a little bit of assistance with a side of research when choosing your first maternity bra. And we are here to help, so just keep reading to find the best Comfy bras during pregnancy.
The characteristics of a good maternity bra
When purchasing the best maternity bra for you, here are some characteristics you should look out for:
It can provide support
You want a maternity bra that can support your breasts well as they are growing and becoming heavier. Consider wider straps and bands.
One with a comfortable fit
When choosing a bra, make sure that you find one with comfortable straps and under boob bands. Cotton material is advisable as they provide comfort.
The cup must have good coverage.
You need a maternity bra that has cups that can cover your entire breasts. The last thing you want to happen is your boobs popping out. Good coverage also provides comfort.
Purchase a maternity bra that does not let the milk leak through.
A bra that can still fit you as you grow
Although not all maternity bras have this, you may want to consider a bra that can stretch and grow as your breasts grow as well. A spandex infused cotton is a good material for this.
2-in-1 bras are convenient
A maternity bra that turns into a nursing bra is always helpful for mommies, especially when the baby comes and starts breastfeeding. Nursing bras are also comfortable and provide good support.
Do not irritate your skin.
If your maternity bra has caused a rash or any irritation, dispose of it already and purchase a new one.
Do’s and Dont’s When Choosing A Maternity Bra
- Buy more than one. For health and sanitation sake, purchase multiple bras you can switch wearing.
- Measure the band and cup size. It will ensure a perfect fit.
- Invest in a good maternity bra. You do not have to overspend on a bra but consider buying good quality, and it can last long.
- Ask help from a bra-fitter. A professional bra-fitter can help you find the perfect bra.
- Try on before purchasing. This ensures that you are not going home with a maternity bra that you cannot wear.
- Avoid bras with underwires. There is still no proof that underwired bras are entirely bad for pregnant women, but they can still affect the flow of your milk and cause clogged ducts.
- Avoid purchasing larger bras for “room to grow”. Purchase a maternity bra that fits you at the moment. Buying larger sizes with the intent that your boobs will grow on them is not advisable because bras that are not well-fitted may cause discomfort.
- Do not purchase fashion bras. Your old lingeries cannot give the same comfort a maternity bra can provide.
A good maternity bra can help provide comfort during this time where your body is changing and getting more sensitive. An uncomfortable bra may negatively affect your lactation. So, as much as possible, invest in maternity bras that you can wear until your baby comes.