If you have a teenager in your life that is a music lover and is eager to learn a new instrument, consider giving them with a guitar. Believe it or not, good small body guitars make outstanding gifts and are something that many teens have on their wish list but rarely get as a gift. One of the reasons for this is that many do not know what to look for when purchasing a guitar so instead of doing some research, they choose to gift something else. This article will help you as it will provide some tips on how to select the best small body guitar for the teenager in your life.
1. Budget. Before you purchase a guitar, be sure to go over your budget with a fine tooth comb and make sure that you are able to part with the cash to gift such a nice instrument. Many guitars can cost a few hundred dollars but you should keep in mind that when investing that much money into something, you will get your money’s worth. A guitar that is costly will withstand the test of time and provide great music while being played. If you have a modest budget, you can still find a great guitar for less however it may not be able to play as long as a higher dollar version.
2. Purpose. Now that you have your budget established, you need to ask yourself, or the teenager in your life, for that matter, what the purpose of the guitar is. Is the teen going to play in the basement with some friends or is it going to be used in a band? Is the guitar going to be used at school in any way? The answers to these questions will help you determine the type of guitar to buy. For example, if you know that the teenager is going to be taking the guitar to local open mic nights, you will want to purchase one that will be suitable for this type of venue.
3. Skill level. If the person you are going to gift the guitar to has been playing for some time already, you may want to find out if they are interested in acoustic or electric guitars. If they have experience playing on an acoustic guitar, perhaps they will want to learn how to play on the electric and vice versas. When in doubt, be sure to ask questions as this can help you select the right instrument.
4. Materials. Guitars are made with all sorts of materials. Some materials are better than others with wood being the most popular. While wood can be a bit more costly, you can purchase a laminate guitar for less and still have great results.
5. Comfort. Choosing a guitar as a gift can be a challenge as every person has a different comfort level and body build. One guitar may work well for an individual who is short but not for someone who is tall. If you do not care if the gift is a surprise, consider taking the teenager with you when you choose a guitar to purchase. This way you can get their feedback on the level of comfort they feel with the guitar. This is important as we all know that if the teenager isn’t comfortable with the guitar, he won’t end up playing it.